More About Vaccines for Your Pet
Vaccines are either “core” or “noncore.” Core vaccines are highly recommended for every pet due to the severity and contagiousness of the diseases they protect against. Noncore vaccines, on the other hand, we only recommend based on your pet’s level of risk.
Our core vaccines include:
- DHPP (distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus, parainfluenza)
- FVRCP (feline viral rhinotracheitis, calicivirus, panleukopenia)
Our noncore vaccines include:
- Bordetella (kennel cough) – often required for boarding, grooming, and training classes
- Leptospirosis – bacteria found in contaminated water or soil from an infected animal; recommended for dogs who are frequently outdoors
- Lyme – a tick-borne illness al recommended for outdoor dogs
- Canine Influenza – bivalent vaccine that protects against both strains of the highly contagious strains of canine flu
- Feline Leukemia – protects cats from the highly contagious and incurable disease; recommended for outdoor cats
When Your Pet Needs Vaccines
Most vaccines are needed on a yearly basis. However, others require more frequent boosters, such as Bordetella (every 6 months). Still, others require a booster every 3 years. We’ll work with you to establish a schedule that suits both you and your pet.
Please contact us today at (703) 435-3335 to schedule an appointment for pet vaccinations!